Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dumonde Tech

I am what you would call a “bike geek” and my geekiness extends to all parts of the bicycle realm: new parts, gear ratios, going crazy about saving 1 ounce and also lubrication. It seems that most bicycle lubes do the trick for a single ride but few, however, do a great job all around. To me, keeping the bike quiet for 2 hours is just the beginning. A lube should also aid your shifting and keep your drivetrain fresher and if it keeps things clean, even better.

One brand I found out about for the first time last year is Dumonde Tech. They began in 1985 producing clutch oil for Road Racing Karts and have had a hand in many different types of racing but now also produce three different bicycle lubricants. The only thing they make is lubricant, so I trust their judgment.

BCL original is more concentrated than BCL Lite and is recommended for mountain bikes. Their website states that the Original formula provides “exceptional durability under the most challenging conditions” and that the two types can be interchangeable. My take on it is consistent to with what they say, although I would use the Lite in the summer months. Both types are very thick when compared to lubes such as Tri Flow or White Lightning which is something that for mountain bikers can be a good or bad thing. I would not consider either of these dry lubes, so they tend to pick up dirt easily when things are dusty. However, the lube helps to provide for super crisp shifting and lasts for a few rides. Dumonde Tech original shines, however, when the going gets wets and muddy. The chain on my bike is typically clean when the rest of the bike is caked with mud.

The third offering they have is called “Bio- Green” and it is, as you guessed it, biodegradable. It is 100% plant based and is recommended for both road and mountain bikes. I have yet to try this type but will do so in the near future and let you know how well it works for me.

I haven’t seen Dumonde Tech in any local shops but there are many places online that you can find it. Remember that when switching lubes, you want to remove all of your old lube from the chain and make sure the chain is “as clean as new” before applying the new type.

No comments:

Post a Comment